Wednesday, October 25, 2006

We're in a rain delay for game 4 of the World Series, and Fox is showing an episode of "The War at Home," which is like saying, "sorry, we're all out of chocolate cake, but here's some dog poo on a plate." This gives me an opportunity to mention two things in the world of sports that I would like to do away with.
  1. Chris Berman. His contribution to society rivals that of Paris Hilton. Seriously, next time you hear him, ask yourself if you would hire that guy for your network based on what he brings to the table today. The answer is no; Berman works for ESPN because he has always worked for ESPN, and that's it. His nicknames and his song references are not funny, and he lends no insight to any sport. His catchphrases are deployed with all the spontanaety of the voice mail operator that lives in my cell phone. Be gone.
  2. The 3/4 time footage in NFL films. Apparently, my grandmother can run like Jim Brown and the ball used to be filled with helium. Really, it's the speed of the game that makes it so impressive. Why take that away?
This week is reading week. I've been... reading. Thesis reasearch is happening, as is a little reading for fun. K and I are going with a friend to see Gomez (band) tonight in San Francisco, at the Warfield. Should be good. Tomorrow I will cook ribs for the first time and draft my first fantasy team. It's clearly a big day.

1 comment:

BC said...

I feel you on Berman, but I can't get down with the elimination of 3/4 time footage from NFL films. Combined with the music, it's just so....dramatic. You can't appreciate the speed anywhere except in real life, anyway.
Keep readin'.