Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Long post, several subjects.


Not long ago, I posted my assessment of the state of the debate over all things homosexual in the Episcopal Church and Anglican Communion. BC predicted that the Primates' meeting in Tanzania would not go well. Good call. I stand by what I said in that post, but I think my reaction to the communique is well summed up by my EDS seminarian friend Weird Bird In Love's post, and not just because she favorably quoted my blog. The Episcopal Church is in an odd place, as a colonial power that does not cherish the pain caused by that heritage, and as a newfound minority in global conversation. So how do we respond to a "cease and desist" from the primates?

I think that the content of the Communique is a slap in the face to the Episcopal Church. Yesterday a lesbian classmate of mine explained to non-Anglicans what has been going on in the Communion lately. As she spoke, I could see her lip quivering, and couldn't help but think of the abandonment she must be feeling, and would further feel if our church accepted the ultimatum we've been given. "Schism" is a frightening word to use. Parting ways over differences in opinion is hardly a reflection of the unity God calls us to. This of course must be conditioned with knowledge that the Anglican Communion is itself a breakaway group, but schism is still terrifying. It's an end to a major mandate for dialogue, and it jeopardizes the opportunity for mutual learning and mutual ministry that a global communion provides. That said, maybe it's time. That said, it's not as if there is consensus in our church about this issue. The communique further polarizes that conversation, as well. Basically, I'm angry about it, and while there are many things in the history of our church that I would apologize for, trying to treat gay people fairly is not going to be one of them.

Late edit (2/23): Bonnie Anderson, president of the House of Deputies, has put out a very good statement.
--------------------------------------------------
Deep breath. Moving on to other subjects.

The 10 o'clock news on a local channel here reported that the Anglican Communion is considering reunification with the Roman Catholic Church. Not sure where that came from, but the resulting adrenaline rush filled me with the power to lift three popemobiles.

My thesis is currently in the hands of my advisor, folks. It's written, and I think it's pretty decent. At 86 pages, it's the longest thing I've written by a good amount, and though the process of writing it has been psychological hell for me, it's a nice feeling to have it done. Trepidation remains, though, as I have been thus far unable to predict the reactions of my advisor.

Lotus, a live album recorded by Santana in 1973, is my current musical indulgence. It reflects a serious engagement in the jazz-rock fusion Miles Davis was creating at the time, and it pleases me greatly. Many people do not like Miles' fusion work, and I have mocked them for that as only a drunken pompous music snob can do. Those people would not like Lotus very much.

K and I saw "Breach" last night. It's a solid spy movie that breaks away from the ploys of violence and torture that we in the "Arranging your lamp..." household have a hard time stomaching. I read the article about torture in "24" in the current New Yorker in bed the other night, which was a mistake. Anyway, having that as a frame of reference made me especially appreciative of the psychological focus of "Breach."

This post is brought to you by ESPN, which is showing an NBA game and a Big XII game instead of State-Carolina tonight, and Fox Sports Net, which is carrying what must be a very important hockey game.

1 comment:

Miss K said...

I went to a Catholic service on Ash Wednesday, because I work at a Catholic university and the chapel was a 30 second walk from my office. In their prayer book/hymnal, in the section where they talk about who can and cannot receive communion, they refer to other Christian denominations as those that have "not yet" been absorbed into the Roman Catholic church. Knowing that they have designs not just on my soul but on entire denominations, I think I'll stay away from them in the future.