Thursday, February 01, 2007

Sports

I'm not sure that I could reliably distinguish between Herm Edwards and Tony Dungy if they weren't always shown wearing their team's apparel.

I did not realize that Barry Bonds used to demand multiple lockers in the Giants locker room. I cannot imagine that the money generated by ticket sales at AT&T Park this season will offset the colossal bore that will be the repetitive media hype about asterisks, integrity, and a batting helmet so big that it apparently does not fit in one locker. My official response to all things Barry from here on out: yawn.

SF Mayor Gavin Newsome was outed today for knocking boots with his campaign manager's wife. He apologized like a man who felt bad about nailing his friend's wife and then not telling him about it.

Rather than talk about how I no longer care a tiny bit about the Super Bowl (but will still watch) because it's been analyzed beyond all reason, I will simply say that the NFL's relationship with its fans could be improved upon.

What does watching this clip do to you? Does that blow your mind? That really happened! I was seven years old, watching the game at my grandparents' house, wearing a Redskins sweatshirt and happy as hell. I spent the next several seasons arguing that the 'Skins should always just go deep, since it always seemed to work.

4 comments:

BC said...

Gavin Newsom mystifies me. His wife was not unattractive.
The Skins clip makes me wish that NFL defenses were less sophisticated and that Jason Campbell were about three years older.
We play State today at 3:30. We're going to take their brownies. Even when they're good at a sport, they can't beat us.

Unknown said...

Sidney gets it. Sidney understands how to get a team up for a game, and he understands how to beat a team like UNC without playing more than 7 players, literally. Biggest win since I've been a fan.

BC said...

What Sydney gets is a return visit on 2/21. Hopefully he brings along that bitch assed blazer he wore yesterday and his seven players (at least two of whom look like crystal meth dealers from Watauga county.)
We got caught looking ahead to Wednesday night when we play the other Triangle team that has actually won a national championship in the last twenty years.

sjl said...

Our guys had to play a close game in a rivalry for the first time. As Roy says, they thought they could win by just showing up. Wrong. Good win for State- brings attention to the program, etc. Good loss for Carolina- better yesterday than on Wednesday. Also, if you can't win a game like yesterday, you don't go anywhere in March.

I remember my junior year, when we beat Duke for the first time since I had gotten to Carolina. It felt great. Congrats, Pack. See you soon.