Saturday, August 19, 2006

Daniel Cabrera pitched a complete-game shutout against Toronto; God be praised. If the O's are to avoid a 9th straight losing season next year, he will have to be a key player. The offense also scored 15 runs, which is always nice.
Ben Harper tonight at the Greek. I'm more excited about the venue (4 blocks from the apartment) than the performer, but it should be a good show.
I picked up the new-ish Coltrane set from the Half Note in 1965, and it's very, very good. The Half Note is now a convenience store. The idea of seing Trane's quartet (Elvin Bishop, McCoy Tyner, and Jimmy Garrison) in a venue the size of a convenience store, especially in '65, when you can hear him trying to reach a higher plane through his playing, is something I can't comprehend.
Since I'm an Orioles fan, I'm getting excited for UNC Basketball this year. In the new landscape of college basketball, we have a legitimate shot at greatness. That game against Florida Atlantic will be a lot less awkward now that Matt Doherty is at SMU. Seeing him coaching the opposing team in the Dean Dome would be a very conflicting situation for me and most other Tar Heel fans.
Hooray for no more German classes!



2 comments:

BC said...

The bluegrass gospel song you sent me was blessed. I have shared that vision of the faith with many of my friends.

Miss K said...

I'm going to be extremely homesick for North Carolina once the season starts. It will be torturous to not be able to watch all of the games on TV. And there's no way in hell that I'm rooting for UT. I do, however, plan on going to my employer's Division 2 games.