Sunday, March 11, 2007

Reader feedback requested

First off, a resounding "Hell yeah!" for the Tar Heels, ACC Champions, and #1 seeds in a tough-ass bracket. Georgetown and Kevin Durant are in the bracket (I am not complaining- we are clearly the 4th of the #1 seeds, so the tough bracket goes to us), and both of those scare me. Kudos to State, who seem to have announced that they are back in action. I'm looking forward to that. Let's assert a little State-school dominance in the Triangle.

Ok, here's the real purpose of this post. Every year, I buy a baseball cap. By baseball cap, I mean a hat for an actual baseball team. I already own two Orioles hats, (a road cap and a throwback) and an A's hat, as they are the only other MLB team I root for, though the Giants often gain my sympathies. I've got all the major league gear I need, so it's got to be minor league again this year. Style counts too, folks. This year I have two options currently already under consideration.
  1. Norfolk Tides, International League (AAA) home cap, fitted (note- road cap is pictured, home cap not released yet). The Orioles moved their AAA club, which was located in Rochester (!) when I was a kid and in Ottawa (seriously) in recent years, to my childhood home of Southeastern Virginia. In one sense, I totally like this move. In another sense, it's about 26 years late. So there's the organizational allegiance and geography there. Additionally, I generally like the look of Tides gear, though I anxiously await the release of this season's home cap, which will hopefully include a dash of orange. Negatives here are that they play against the Durham Bulls, a minor league franchise I may soon become a regular patron of once again.
  2. Chattanooga Lookouts, Southern League (AA). I have loved the Lookouts caps for well over a decade now. It's simple yet humorous. I like the black cap, as I already have one red hat (Carolina Mudcats, in the same league as the Lookouts), and I think the red "C" looks sharp on it. Advantages are location in Chattanooga, a town I've enjoyed in the past, a particularly cool team name, and humor. The primary negative is the NC State colors.

You can either vote for one of the above, or suggest another minor league hat. Additionally, all readers of this blog are invited to know that fitted baseball caps make excellent gifts, and that I wear a size 7 1/2. My wife will be thrilled, too- she loves the hat collection both in principle and in practice.

3 comments:

Miss K said...

I assume you already own a Durham Bulls cap, right? Otherwise, I'd have to go with Chattanooga.

By the way, I am really hoping that I'll get to see the Heels take on the Longhorns. Having watched both teams all season, I think that would be a really exciting match up.

BC said...

Lookouts all the way.
When do you hear from the rest of your Ph.D. programs? Where do you stand now?
Brackets? Who do you have?
I am not afraid of Georgetown or Texas. I am only afraid of seeing Ohio State again.

BC said...

Lookouts all the way.
When do you hear from the rest of your Ph.D. programs? Where do you stand now?
Brackets? Who do you have?
I am not afraid of Georgetown or Texas. I am only afraid of seeing Ohio State again.