Thursday, March 09, 2006

I'm watching Championship Week from the Left Coast for the first time. Instead of the rightful hegemony of the ACC Tournament that I grew up with, I'm left watching the Big East, Big Ten, and PAC-10 tournaments right now. The first two are at least good conferences this year, and I don't mind them, but I miss the ACC.
As Big Country mentioned in his post today, the ACC tournament is back in Greensboro, where it belongs (the ACC was founded and is headquartered in Greensboro, a city which built a 23,000 seat arena pretty much just for the tournament). I went to high school in Greensboro, where we would sneak our portable radios into school, and listen to games during class, through headphones. What I'm saying is that I don't really care if Georgetown beats Marquette, but I would really like to watch Florida State play Wake Forest. I want to listen to Woody Durham talk for 12 straight hours during the early rounds. I want to listen to the fans from other school join in cheering for any team that plays against Duke or UNC. If you grew up in ACC country, you understand why no other conference can compare this week.

No comments: