Monday, March 27, 2006

Not just a sports blog.

In my profile, there are in fact interests listed which are not sports-related. I don't think I'll post much about theology, as I have more opportunities than I need to write about it elsewhere. I'll get around to writing about music, though it has been correctly said that "writing about music is like dancing about architecture." I have not posted thus far about whiskey, though, and I think Spring Break makes an opportune time to start. Note: I am not currently drinking whiskey, as it is 12:00 PM, and I have a siginificant amount of reading to do. Anyway, I want to periodically post about a whiskey, or occasionally a rum that I like a lot.

Right now, I am really enjoying a bottle of Old Grand-Dad 114 bourbon, which has been one of my favorites for a couple of years. The Old Grand-Dad brand is produced by Jim Beam, but with a more rye-based mashbill than their other products. A mashbill, by the way, is the blend of grains used to make the whiskey. Bourbon, by law, must be 51% corn, but the rest is variable. Basil Hayden's, part of the Beam small-batch line, is from the same mashbill, watered down to 80 proof, and sold for about 30 bucks. It's a very good bourbon, but I paid 23 bucks for my OGD 114, which, as the name indicates, is 114 proof. I cut it with a little water, but I enjoy the warmth of the higher proof. It also dictates that I drink the bourbon slower, and in smaller quantities. You can do the math- this bourbon is a fantastic value. The heavy use of rye gives it a very spicy flavor, at the opposite end of the taste spectrum from a wheat based bourbon like Maker's Mark, but it is still a very smooth sipping whiskey. I don't have a large collection of whiskeys (I have three bottles in the cabinet right now), but the value and quality of this one will keep it in regular rotation. Also, as you can see, it looks really cool.

1 comment:

BC said...

You are a veritable fountain of whiskey knowledge. I have been in a beer rut since the beginning of the year. That's pretty much meant whatever non-mass brewed beer has bee on sale at the Teeter, I've tried it.