Thursday, March 30, 2006

We'll be out there having fun...

So we're wrapping up the wettest March in Bay Area history. To date, it has rained on 24 of 30 days this month. It's enough to make me drink more coffee, don a flannel shirt, and form a band that plays songs consisting of chords I can play with 2 fingers.

I've been reading about the situation with the Duke Lacrosse team, and I am extremely anxious about it. Duke and Durham have a plantational relationship in a lot of ways, and I am hopeful that this will be a catalyst for dialogue, and hopefully, change. At the same time, the prospect of a group of rich white kids hiring high-octane lawyers to defend themselves in a rape trial is gut-wrenching. Every public rape trial is a powerful event, as it forms the frame of reference for rape survivors who are deciding whether or not to come forward. The Kobe Bryant trial was a nightmare for anyone who is interested in seeing rapists brought to justice, with the accuser's name being leaked and her character smeared across the national media, as what should have been a private trial became very, very public. Though all evidence is to the contrary, I hope that the media will not do the same disservice to rape survivors everywhere this time around.

For the second year in a row, Opening Day is not the lead story in the baseball press. I'm hopeful that the new investigation will provide some sort of resolution. Me, I'm a cliche kind of guy. When I see the players run out onto the impossibly green grass in some baseball cathedral and begin playing my favorite game, I'll be just fine.

2 comments:

BC said...

i have a powerful lust for mlb.tv as a way to bypass needing cable.

Miss K said...

I'm very nervous about the Duke lacrosse thing as well. The the alleged victim is correct...well, what she says happened is absolutely horrible. To think that it happened anywhere, especially at my alma mater, makes me sick. And if it's not true, 1. the credibility of rape victims everywhere will be undermined and 2. a whole bunch of innocent people will have been publicly defamed. Also, I'm worried about the implications of the way that things were handled (especially the mass DNA testing).

It's quite the SNAFU. I bet that Lifetime will make a movie about it when it's all over.